Monday 25 November 2013

What kind of teacher are you ...?

Well this is just for a little bit of fun. I stumbled across a quiz that is meant to determine what kind of teacher they think we might just be! Now, its really aimed at the comprehensive school teacher and one example involves year nine pupils smoking in a school corridor! So what would I do ... was I ever that kid myself ...? Well maybe for about a week but like many fads when I was an average kind of teenager this fashion accessory was not one for keeps (in my day!).

The question here might be how would you approach or would you even approach a teenager today who is blatantly smoking in full view of other pupils and staff? Well, I think I probably would but not in some punitive style like it appeared to have been 'in my day'. As I recall in the mid nineteen eighties any wrong-doing was pretty much dealt with by your archetypal male P.E. teacher who, in my 'old school' thought that making pupils run around the gym in a pair of plimsolls and a vest would be enough to cure any ill thought out notions of social vagrancy ... !

Perhaps it worked for some, however on the one occasion I was caught bunking off school (just the once and for a good reason, of course) this exercise seemingly only served to replace the running training I'd missed earlier that morning. This was opposed to assuming a more modern approach, if you will, that explores the conflict present between academic study and the usual teenage angst. An alternative framework based on restorative practice is certainly gathering momentum in Swansea which evidences a measurable value in its redistribution of power between teacher and learner and works towards a more mutual approach to learning, applying non judgmental problem solving skills to resolve any identifiable obstacles blocking the progress towards personal, academic and social development.

The real point to all of this is, arguably, a matter of fundamental 'approach'.  My approach, for instance, how might it differ currently from teaching practice 'in my day'? Of course, I am intending to assume the role I have since learned but how difficult a process might that be to implement in practice? The late Brazilian educator Paulo Freire (see notes on side-bar for more information) coined the following illustration as a passive 'banking style' method commonly applied in more traditional teaching environments. Whether you as the reader agrees that the redistribution of power between the teacher and learner is a positive change, I really find it difficult to recognize the benefit in any of the following sentiments: That " X, Y & Z, (for instance) are the facts, I as the teacher am the all knowing expert, your place here is to listen and learn from me and should you refuse to co-operate with me as your teacher then there are strict sanctions in  place, like after school and weekend detentions! Or,  if you prefer, under more extreme circumstances where abject disobedience from authority is obvious, you could find yourself the unfortunate recipient of ten lashings of the best from one willing head-teacher whose really is quite handy with a cane ... So kid, just sit down and listen to me, you're in for the learning experience of your life and one day you'll come back and thank me for being so brilliant and telling you everything you ever needed to know!"

But really, this is not the modern way or my personal philosophy at all ...!

...So, I thought the quiz could be fun in any case although I found the questions a little restrictive and without actually being a comprehensive school teacher, I have taught and interacted with students on delivery of drama in education workshops, so I attempted, as a neophyte, to base my answers on what type of teacher under those conditions I like to consider myself to be. I tried not to imagine being too serious about it all though under pressure with deadlines to meet and a real sense of responsibility when it comes to doing justice to the learning experience of children in whatever capacity they may  be, I think this might be an activity to ask your colleagues or best friend to complete it on your behalf. Still at the least it got me really thinking about what kind of teacher do I want to aspire to be for my pupils, what makes a really great teacher, who were my favourites and why .... so thanks TES Resources for this little gem, I hope that if this sparks your interest too, I would love it if you shared one or a few of your viewpoints about your own learning experiences and what kind of teacher TES reckons you are .... even though it insists on calling me Carole... perhaps to TES though everyone is Carole ... who knows, maybe you could illuminate ....?

Try the quiz for yourself right here by following the link below:
http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storyCode=6363259&s_cid=Landing_teachertypequiz#.UpN7EtK8Diu

This is the feedback I received, what will yours reveal about your teaching approach ...?

 Your Results
Carole Comfy-Cardy

Everyone likes Carole. She’s the one who’ll ask you about your plans for the summer and actually listen to the answer. She talks to anyone, and falls out with no-one. The younger kids are happy to be mothered by her; the older ones might muck her about, but they always turn to her with issues or insecurities.

OK, so she’ll never be the model of corporate efficiency or ruthless ambition. She can’t be bothered with the wardrobe for a start. Friendship,being a good listener, fluffy slippers – these are the things that really matter.

Any questions, "Please SEE ME!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment